Time-out has become a popular approach to parenting, choosing it as a ‘better’ alternative to smacking. However there is evidence that this parenting tool is more complex than many parents think and some experts even consider that time-out can be a harmful practice.
In this interview you’ll learn:
- What time-out is and how it’s supposed to work.
- The controversial history of the development of time-out as an approach
- Why the experts who claim time-out is an effective method for parents caution implementing time-out as it is a complex procedure and requires training.
- The ‘eight’ factors time out experts recommend parents consider when implementing time-out.
- The practical challenges of getting children into time-out and keeping them there.
- What the anti-time out researchers say about the potential harms of this approach to parenting.
- Most importantly you’ll learn about positive parenting strategies like ‘time-in’ to help you raise happy, well-balanced and capable children.
For help raising well-rounded and capable kids from toddlers to teens, get great tips, resources and support using Dr Rosina’s practical Win Win Parenting approach.